I'm a bit late with the news on this one - not only that, but this is apparently the 4th time this has been done. Apparently the Game Music Bundle (GMB) Team (at least I believe that's what they call themselves) have released a retro game music album with remastered tracks of several games as well as some remixes. What's different this time is that they've managed to get some pretty big names aboard, including Alexander Brandon (Tyrian, Jazz Jackrabbit, Unreal, Deus Ex) and George "The Fat Man" Sanger (Wing Commander, the 7th Guest).
They use a Pay What You Want (PWYW) model which means for only $1 you can get the following soundtracks:
- 7/11: The 7th Guest and 11th Hour Original Soundtrack
- Duke Nukem 3D: Original Soundtrack
- Myst: The Soundtrack
- Jazz Jackrabbit 1 & 2
For only a few dollars extra though, at $10 you can get these as well:
- NUKEM: Duke 3D Remixes
- Shadow Warrior: Original Soundtrack
- Duke Nukem II: Original Soundtrack
- Wacky Wheels: Original Soundtrack
- Major Stryker: Original Soundtrack
- Stargunner: Original Soundtrack
- Cosmo's Cosmic Adventure: Original Soundtrack
- Jazz Jackrabbit 3
- Double Dragon Neon
- Alter Ego Dreamwalker OST
- Magnetis - Original Game Soundtrack
- Lava Blade
One of my personal favourites is the 7th Guest soundtrack, especially 'The Game' which I believe was well ahead of its time in terms of computer game music (The 7th Guest came out in 1993):
Another highlight is the Wacky Wheels soundtrack and while the MP3s don't sound that different to the original they're still charming in their own right. I spent many hours playing that game multiplayer (this was when huddling around the same keyboard was considered "multiplayer" :)). Here's one of the tracks:
Anyway if you happened to play any of these games, might be worth checking it out.
Oh and if anyone is interested in the story, check it out here.