|Civ VI: Gathering Storm will feature natural disasters such as volcanic eruptions|
After a livestream that really annoyed a lot of the fans, Firaxis has finally announced that Sid Meier's Civilization VI is going to receive a second expansion called Gathering Storm which is due to be released on Valentine's Day next year (14th February 2019). The biggest change to the game, and the reason it's called Gathering Storm, is that it brings back the concept of climate change (which has existed in previous entries to the Civ series) as well as natural disasters. The expansion will also future the usual new civs, new leaders, new techs, new wonders, etc. A summary of the new features are listed below:
- Climate Change and Natural Disasters: this includes volcanoes, blizzards, sand storms, tornadoes, hurricanes, floods and droughts
- Power plants use strategic resources: power plants now require access to strategic resources like coal, oil and renewable sources too. If you use fossil fuels, this will bring upon climate change
- Engineering Projects: you can now complete engineering projects for your cities such as dams, tunnels, canals and railroads
- World Congress: the World Congress is back meaning Diplomatic Victory is now a viable victory condition
- 21st Century Era in Tech Tree: a new era has been added to the tech tree with speculative technologies mainly revolving around combating climate change
- New Leaders and Civs: 9 new leaders and 8 new civs
- New scenarios: one scenario is set during the 14th century when the Black Death ravaged Europe and the other is set during the early stages of WWI
- New content: 7 new wonders, 7 new natural wonders, 18 new units, 15 new improvements, 9 new buildings, 5 new districts, 2 new city sets, 9 new techs and 10 new civics have been added.
- Improved existing gameplay: The espionage system has been enhanced and the Culture and Science Victories have been updated, new Historic Moments have been added and a bunch of other improvements have been made to "existing systems"
No news on which new civs and leaders we will be getting but one part of the trailer looks almost like a scene out of "Moana", so maybe Polynesia? ;)
[ Civ VI Official Site: Gathering Storm Announcement ]