|If only the game wasn't stuttering so much...|
Well it's been almost a week now since Battlefield 4 was released here in Australia, so I thought I'd share my thoughts on the game so far.
Before we go any further, it might be worth posting my specs so people have some idea of what my experiences are based on:
- i7 2600
- Powercolor HD 7850
- 4GB DDR3 1333MHz RAM
Graphics settings are currently set to "Auto" but it looks like "High" has been selected.
Minimum system requirements for the game are:
- Intel Core 2 Duo or Athlon X2
- GeForce 8800GT or Radeon HD 3870, 512MB VRAM with at least DX 10.1 support
- 4GB RAM
So as you can see, my computer more than meets the requirements, at least when it comes to the processor and video card – however RAM could potentially be upgraded and this has been added to my TODO list :).
So without further ado, here's my list:
- Stuttering issue. Jerky movement in single and multi player, and my number one annoyance at the moment.
- Multiple reports of crashes to desktop and various other issues (though I thankfully have only experienced one crash to desktop)
- Broken on launch server browser
- Not enough change from BF3
- Jets still overpowered in the right hands
- Vehicles still regenerate health
- Vehicles still have perks
- English in really bad foreign accents - just like BF3
- Frag rounds for auto shotguns
- 12G slugs for shotguns
- No faction specific weapons at the start (e.g. Americans using AKs)
- Maps have a similar feel to BF3 – in fact some seem even smaller
- Long loading times, BF2 style (although admittedly I only have the minimum required RAM)
- Peeking over obstacles actually works well
- Vehicles have to reload salvos of shots
- Ability to refuse medic revives
- Reloading discards ammo in clip (BF2)
- Weather effects on maps are pretty
- Commander Mode is back
- Field upgrades places focus on team to stick together and leave no man behind
- Points rewarded for completing orders from Squad Leaders and Commanders. i.e. reward people who play the objectives
So what has everyone's experience been with BF4 so far? To me it seems a lot like BF3 with Commander Mode - which has left me feeling somewhat ambivalent about the title so far. It has good stuff but also some of the more annoying features of BF3. If the bugs and crashes were fixed I would probably be more forgiving of its flaws though.